Applying for Temporary Resident Status in Canada? You may want to enter Canada on a temporary basis, such as for a visit, to study or to work. Lehal Law provides legal services for all the following applications under the temporary status category:

  1. Visitor’s Visa
  2. Work Permit
  3. Student Permit
  4. Temporary Resident Permit
  5. Super Visas for Parents and Grandparents

Each of the above categories have their own requirements, which must be met. Lehal Law can assist in determining your eligibility and in completing the application.

Temporary Resident Status in Canada

1. Visitor’s Visa

To visit Canada for a temporary stay for reasons such as, tourism, business trips, or visiting family or friends, you can apply for a Visitor’s Visa.

Some countries are exempt from requiring a visitor’s visa, such as, the United Sates but most do require a visa. Even if your country is exempt from requiring a visa you must still meet other entry requirements.

The standard stay in Canada is six months as a visitor, unless otherwise specified. To stay for a longer duration, an application for “Extend your Stay” would have to be submitted, which can be done within Canada prior to the expiry of your visa.

Lehal Law can assist in determining your eligibility to apply for a visitor’s visa and in completing the application.

2. Work Permit

A work permit is generally required should you wish to work in Canada. There are a few and very specific exempt categories of workers who do not require work permits. A work permit allows individuals, who are not permanent residents/citizens, to work in Canada for a temporary period.

All requirements must be met for entering the country, for staying in Canada and for getting a work permit.

A work permit does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live in Canada permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category.

Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you while you are working in Canada.

Lehal Law can assist in determining eligibility to apply for a work permit and will completing the application.

3. Student Permit

In order to pursue studies in Canada you must have a student permit. to be issued such a permit you have confirmation that you have been accepted by an educational institution in Canada, have proof of identity and have enough money to meet all aspects of living, education, and travel expenses.

There are exceptions to the student permit that can enable you to enter Canada for schooling without the use of a study permit. Some exceptions are studying for a short-term course/ program or if you or your immediate family are a member of a foreign armed forces.

Lehal Law can assist you in determining your eligibility to apply for a student permit and completing the application.

4. Temporary Resident Permit

If you are otherwise inadmissible to Canada, but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified, you may be issued a temporary resident permit. To be eligible, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society.

A temporary resident permit has no official guidelines and admissibility can only be decided upon when you apply to come to Canada or at a port of entry.

Lehal Law can assist you in determining whether this category is suitable for you and completing the application for a Temporary Resident Permit.

5. Super Visas for Parents and Grandparents

Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents have the ability to apply for a long duration Visitors Visa for parents and grandparents, a “Super Visa”. The Super Visa was launched on December 1, 2011, it provides for a visa valid for up to 10 years and permits the parent or grandparent to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of their status.

To apply for the Super Visa there are a number of eligibility requirements that must be met and other factors that are assessed by the visa officer. One of the most important requirements is that the parent or grandparent must provide proof that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year.

Lehal Law can assist you in determining eligibility to apply for a Super Visa and completing the application for you.


Request a Consultation!

We are happy to provide an initial consultation commensurate with the advising lawyer’s hourly rate.